Sunday, January 31, 2010

Gamma World for D&D 4E

 Due to work, I was a bit behind on the announcement and Carl over on the Mutagenic Substance gives some good details, but apparently WotC is going to do Gamma World with the 4E rules system. I must admit I'm conflicted by this.  I'm happy to hear that Gamma World is still going to be supported, but as I've posted elsewhere in this blog I'm not a fan of 4E.  BUT if it brings some new mutant blood into the Post-Apocalyptic gaming community that is a good thing.  I'm not keen on the random card thing at all (.50 cents per card!!!!), and having a variable "mutation of the day" could be a bit odd, (yesterday you had Death Field Generation, today you have Big Green Floppy Feet instead!  ???), I'll reserve my final judgement on this until I learn more about the product, but if this is some attempt by WotC to get me to join DDI with it's monthly fees then its No Deal. Still it's cool that it will be a boxed set, and they are reworking Famine-in-Fargo (an awesome module).  Having Gamma World options for D&D (and vice versa) goes back to the games AD&D roots (remember those conversion tables in the original AD&D DMG?).  We'll see. In the meantime I've still got Mutant Future and continue to have a blast with it!

4 comments:

  1. My sentiments exactly! While I've ran my share of 4e games, I'm pretty much very happy with Mutant Future. As I mentioned in an earlier comment somewhere else, I'll also be reserving judgement on how this iteration of Gamma World turns out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not interested in this version of GW. I'll be sticking with Mutant Future instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only 4th edition of Gamma World I am interested in was printed in 1992.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tetsubo, you are spot on the 4th edition of Gamma World printed back in 92 was indeed the cream of the Mutant Crop!

    ReplyDelete