Saturday, March 23, 2019

SWN- Kobayashi Maru Maneuver!

I am terribly behind on my Stars Without Number Cabal Sigma Campaign updates.  Things are going great! It has been all I can do to keep up with the players wild and crazy moves, and great tactics! The players are having a ball and so am I! It is great to be running Sci Fi Space Opera after years of D&D.  Last night I did something crazy! Before the game my wife commented that it was William Shatner's Birthday! Happy 88th!  and I thought you know I need to somehow celebrate that in game tonite so I came up with this idea on the way to the game!
Some background...
The players had acquired (stolen) a starship last session, and we had not tried out SWN space combat yet! I knew they were about to "Spike in" to a system with known pirate activity! I told the players that since it was William Shatner's Birthday that for tonite and tonite only! The player acting as the Captain of their new ship could pull a one time Kobayashi Maru Maneuver! What this meant was the starship captain could elect to instead of rolling the required dice for an action (d20 or a 2d6) he could roll my d60 for that one roll for this session only!  Woo Hoo 




They Loved it!  The players kicked the pirates asses and a merchant ship fleeing the pirates (that the party VERY MUCH needed to stop) would have escaped but the captain used the Kobayashi Maru Maneuver rolled a 29! and stopped the merchant ship dead in its tracks!  
Great Game!
Happy Birthday (yesterday) William Shatner!

No comments:

Post a Comment