Monday, January 15, 2024

Star Scoundrels : A rules lite Sci Fi RPG

 Greetings,

 Hope everyone is well, we are in the single digit temps here with what is a heavy snow for us. So, since I have some downtime, and am still on a Sci Fi kick, I thought I would look at Star Scoundrels a bit more. I do like the Black Star RPG, but Star Scoundrels does seem to give just a bit more "something" to differentiate characters and such. 

     Love that cover art!  One of my favorite things to do in Space Opera campaigns is to work up alien species.  Since Star Scoundrels is Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off, thought I would do an alien species loosely based on a Star Wars alien species that shows up in the background from time to time.  I'll let you see if you can determine which species this one is based upon.  Oh, and the art is A.I. I'm no artist so I figured for a blog post, A.I. art should be ok.  

Species: Sluskan  

Species Traits: (Amphibious, Aquatic Survival, Swim, Low-Light Vision, Persuasive, Hardy)




  And just like that we have a species written up.  More to come!  


4 comments:

  1. Your description of Star Scoundrels as "Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off" has definitely piqued my interest. I must get a copy.

    I know AI art seems to be contentious, but I don't think that using it in a blog post or in a house rules document is a bad thing. I do understand the object to big companies using AI art in their products.

    I noticed Aftermath in one of the pictures on the right and in your list of labels. I always intended to pick it and The Morrow Project up. I'm going to brose those Aftermath posts to see if there's some sort of review or impression post on the game. If not, do you have any thoughts on Aftermath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Charlie. I'm still studying Star Scoundrels, it is more rules lite than what I am used too, but that's not a bad thing given my schedule. I agree with you about AI art. As for Aftermath, I haven't looked at that in ages. It is actually pretty dated. If my memory serves it is a bit more... realistic/gritty than say Gamma World. I'd say the mechanics are pretty dated by today's gaming standards. My posts really don't go into much for Aftermath mechanics. Sorry. I was always more of a Gamma World guy. : )

      Delete
    2. Cool! No worries. I had that same impression of Aftermath just from the discussions I've had over the years. Nothing wrong with Gamma World at all. It seems to be my go-to game for most post-apocalyptic gaming. Of course, I get the itch for RIFTS every now and then.

      Delete
    3. Same here, first RPG I GM'd was original Gamma World loved it. I have fond memories of Rifts, but seems every time I dig out my Rifts books and try to do something with it, I shake my head and put my Rifts books back on the shelf.

      Delete