Friday, April 14, 2023

Conan the Barbarian Comics

     I recently discussed my visit to a local comic shop.  As a follow up, I saw an advertisement for a new Conan the Barbarian comic series.  The art drew me in, and when I realized Marvel no longer had the license for Conan, I took that as a very good thing.


     I grew up reading the old black and white Conan the Barbarian magazines.  Well I read them when I could, my parents didn't think they were appropriate so I had to sneak them in, I've since collected the compiled TPB's of many of them and have a solid collection of Conan materials including the earlier Marvel comics Conan series.  

     Not to turn this into an anti-Marvel rant, but as I alluded to in an earlier post, modern era Marvel just doesn't work for me, and I was very disappointed in the more recent Marvel Conan stories/art etc.. just a missed opportunity.  I suppose I am not Marvel's target audience anymore.

However, now that Titan Comics has the Conan license I am most intrigued.  I mean just look at the teaser art for the upcoming series!


These really capture the classic look and vibe that I associate with Conan!  I will definitely be looking into this series when it releases.  
So you may ask what does this have to do with gaming?  Great question and I have a ready answer! I see this sort of content as perfect gaming inspiration for a Hyperborea Campaign!  Sadly, due to work and life stuff I have not had a chance to run a true Hyperborea (formerly Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea) Campaign. BUT, it is on my to do list. Now with a new Conan comic series, in the hands of a publisher that seems to be wanting to get Conan back to his roots, I'll have even more inspiration and source material for my games.  


2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to this, too. It's always nice to get a fresh perspective. And I like the art I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Narmer! Thanks for dropping in! Here's hoping it meets or even exceeds our expectations!!

      Delete