Saturday, April 11, 2020

Gamma World 4th Edition

Just checking in with a little post. Not to get into personal stuff, but been pretty slammed lately. I'm a nurse and things have been pretty hectic at the hospital lately. I hope everyone is safe and healthy out there during these difficult times.  Anyways on with my post...

     Above is the cover of my favorite edition of my favorite RPG. Gamma World 4th Edition, and just to be clear this is NOT Gamma World 4E. This edition was the first to test out Ascending AC (they called it THAC). Added in some character classes, had some cool mutant animal options and was just loads of fun!  It is available again in print . I have my original copy and picked up a new print version. Good stuff!  I know I have had a similar post about this edition in the not too distant past, but it is worth mentioning again. Also I was talking with a buddy of mine earlier today and he brought up how he didn't know just how compatible the Buck Rogers RPG was with this edition. Swords and Stitchery blog did a recent post about this very thing.
I hope Eric doesn't mind me getting on his bandwagon about this interesting combo opportunity.
     I have to admit at the time I was so heavily playing Gamma World 4th, I didn't know about the great compatibility between these two games either. I never have actually owned the Buck Rogers RPG core rules.  I did get the No Humans Allowed book. Although I mostly ended up using some of the "Gennies" in it for my AD&D campaign at the time. I did later convert some of the gennie beasts to my Alternity Gamma World campaign. But I don't think I ever used them in any Gamma World 4th games.

I recently picked up Hardware, a equipment book for Buck Rogers. Reading through it all these years after its initial release, I realize I would have loved to have had/used this one with  GW 4th.  Oh well, I have it now and maybe I can dust off some of these books and and get some new life out of them. 

Well, as I said, going to keep this post short. I hope to get back to posting more soon. Stay home if you can and be safe!
-B.B.

7 comments:

  1. I never got a chance to play Gamma World. It always looked like a heck of a good time. :) Say, speaking of freaky futures, did you ever try playing Palladium's Rifts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is loads of fun, your Gath posts could fit in nicely. As for Rifts, oh yeah, I GM'd a ton of Rifts back in the 90's. It was my go to game for years. The system is crazy, but the setting is awesome!

      Delete
  2. Great to see a post from you, show up in my feed. Thank you for the job you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Whisk! Thanks for the comment and dropping by. We are all doing what we can during this! Be Safe!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Bill: I know it's pretty stressful for most medical folks these days (my best friend is a CN and it's been a lot of work lately). Good luck and be well.

    Man, why isn't GW 2E available yet? I just paid way to much to grab a desiccated, loose cover, sealed bag of the rule book (not even the box!) off eBay! I've been on a bit of a post-apoc kick myself lately (also got a copy of Rifts: Chaos Earth and The New West). It's so interesting to compare and contrast the different takes on PA gaming between the likes of GW, Rifts, Aftermath, Mutant Future, MCC, etc.

    Buck Rogers is an RPG that I've never owned, played, or read, but I was a big fan of the TV show back in the early 80s...it had quite a bit of PA-themed goodness for a space opera show. If the designers took that track, I can see how it would mesh well with GW, both in system and theme. Or is the combo of the two more of a "mutants in space" vibe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks JB.
    I wish GW 2E was out as well. My copy fell apart years ago, and I need a new one. Rifts Chaos Earth has some fun ideas and New West is Great, I think it would work great with Bigfella's (may he R.I.P.) Gamma World western sourcebook.
    As for Buck Rogers, I loved the TV show also, Earth was a wasteland then so you could easily work Gamma Terra into the Buck Rogers overall setting. Thanks for the great comments and Be Safe out there!

    ReplyDelete