Saturday, June 17, 2023

Sword & Planet OSR

 Gamer Greetings,

 Been a bit since I posted.  Been busy with work although we have still been playing our D&D Campaign. 

In a recent chat with an online friend, I came to an interesting realization. While being a longtime fan of the Sword & Planet Genre. I have never run a Sword & Planet campaign. I loved reading Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom books as a kid.  The Michael Whelan covers from back then just really resonated with me. Just look at some of these! 





And the fact that Barsoom has massive four-armed White Apes was just icing on the cake! 

I did some looking around and found there are some great OSR resources for Sword & Planet gaming, I knew about some, but others were a fun surprise.  I picked up some, pictured below. 


Look at that pile of Coolness!  The Marvel TPB is a comic I picked up in the discount bin at the local comic shop, more inspiration fodder for a campaign!  There are a couple of WotRP adventures out as well, that I need to pick up.  Now to find the time to run some Sword & Planet fun!  Oh, and this got me reminiscing about the old Planet Algol blog. I'd love to run something like Planet Algol.  Not sure when I will get a chance to run something like this, but I think it would be nice to do for a bit of change of pace.  Fighting Orcs and other monsters is fun, but I think some adventures in the Sword & Planet genre would be a blast!  

2 comments: